Monday, June 1, 2009

Rice Pudding

I find myself making rice more and more often lately. For some reason, I have always been afraid of rice. People always say it's really easy to make, but I thought it looked hard. Turns out they were right; it is easy. But a lot of times we end up wiith leftovers. Not a problem by me at all! This is a great way to use up leftover plain rice.

I usually do mine with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, but you can season it however you like, really! And it freezes really well. I found this out when I was stuck with 5 cups of leftover rice recently. I do not know why I at the time thought it would be a good idea to use all of it for pudding, but I did. Stuck with 10 cups of rice pudding, I figured it would be a good idea to experiment with freezing it. It came out of the freezer exactly like it went in. Delicious.

2 cups cooked rice (brown, white, whatever)
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups raisins
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened and yummy. Stir occasionally, especially towards the end to make sure it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan. Then season however you like. I prefer cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little allspice. Serve hot or cold.

Freeze in a freezer bag. Or if you prefer to use plastic-ware, put a layer of plastic wrap over the top before putting on the lid. To thaw just put it in the microwave on low until warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment